Sunday, November 17, 2013

Review: My Ex From Hell by Tellulah Darling

Publication Date: Apr1st 2013 
Publisher: Te Da Media
Pages: 272
Series: The Blooming Goddess Trilogy #1
Source: Borrowed
Rating:
 ★★★½
GR
Sixteen-year-old Sophie Bloom wishes she’d been taught the following:
a) Bad boy’s presence (TrOuBlE) + teen girl’s brain (DraMa) = TrAuMa (Highly unstable and very volatile.)
b) The Genus Greekulum Godissimus is notable for three traits: 1) awesome abilities, 2) grudges, and 3) hook-ups, break-ups, and in-fighting that puts cable to shame.

Prior to the Halloween dance, Sophie figures her worst problems involve adolescent theatrics, bitchy teen yoga girls, and being on probation at her boarding school for mouthy behavior. Then she meets bad boy Kai and gets the kiss that rocks her world.

Literally.

This breath stealing lip lock reawakens Sophie’s true identity: Persephone, Goddess of Spring. She’s key to saving humanity in the war between the Underworld and Olympus, target numero uno of Hades and Zeus, and totally screwed.

Plus there’s also the little issue that Sophie’s last memory as Persephone was just before someone tried to murder her.

Big picture: master her powers, get her memories back, defeat Persephone’s would be assassin, and save the world. Also, sneak into the Underworld to retrieve stolen property, battle the minions of Hades and Zeus, outwit psycho nymphs, slay a dragon, rescue a classmate, keep from getting her butt expelled from the one place designed to keep her safe …

… and stop kissing Kai, Prince of the Underworld.

My Ex From Hell is a YA romantic comedy/Greek mythology smackdown. Love meets comedy with a whole lot of sass in book one of this teen fantasy romance series. Compared to Kai and Sophie, Romeo and Juliet had it easy.

Such a light read, I was hooked right after I read her letter to her goddess mom. Sophie is a quirky character and she has a great sense of humor. From the way she talks and her actions it's no mistake that she is indeed Persephone. So don't hate her on that, Greek Gods/Goddesses are crazy like that especially Persephone who cares about her beauty the most and is somewhat an airhead and a hopeless romantic.

I thought this book would focus heavy on the romance side but I didn't know that it just had a light touch on it. My Ex From Hell has a little bit of everything: adventure (check), romance (check), and drama (check). The story is happening really quickly and even though I liked it that way but a part of me wanted it to slow down a bit. I wanted more deep to the characters and the plot.

Overall, My Ex From Hell is a quick read and the plot is really entertaining. The book has some Greek elements in there but not much so even if you don't know about Greek Mythology you won't get lost.

2 comments :

  1. When I first read the cover of this book, it made me think of a bad realistic fiction novel. However, the description makes it sound action packed and exciting, and I am a sucker for Greek mythology. I will have to add this to my list of books to read.

    By the way, I nominated you for the Liebster Award for bloggers. Check it out here: http://www.booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if you like Greek Myth then I recommend you check out Antigoddess by Kendare Blake or Rick Riordan's books or Starcrossed trilogy by Josephine Angelini. They are really good and have more GreekMyth in there.

      Delete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...