Sunday, August 26, 2012

Review: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins


Author Info: website
Release Date:
March 2nd 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH 
Pages:   336 
Source: Purchased
Rating: ★★★★
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
I was still in the mood for some fairy/ magic thing so I decided to pick this up since this book had all the requirements. Besides the book was on my shelf for a while now and I felt bad that I did not read it yet.  Let me state the reason why I didn't read it any sooner, first of all the cover is so ordinary. Secondly the synopsis just did not catch my interest. You may ask why the hell I bought it in the first place. Well I did not, I received it from my mom. Whatever the case was,  I crossed my fingers and gave it a go with the hope that I was wrong.

Ok what can I say, Hex Hall is an easy read so even thought it's the first book in the trilogy it still can be marked as summer read ( for its fun and fast paced). The story for me is predictable and simple but I had a really good time (LOL) reading it. Maybe because the main character Sophie is a strong female character, not the typical girly/weak one that needs to be save all the time. Not to mention she is hilarious, she knows how to make a good joke. Don't expect some crazy spell fight because well the action is not a lot and the story is really light/short. The last few chapters were really good and that's the reason I will read the second book. 


No comments :

I LOVE to hear from you so don't be shy and speak your mind =)

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...