Sunday, September 14, 2014

Review: Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica

Publication Date: June 24th 2014
Publisher:  Tor Books
Series: Hidden Sea Tales #1
Source: Purchased
Rating:
 ★★ ½

GR
One minute, twenty-four-year-old Sophie Hansa is in a San Francisco alley trying to save the life of the aunt she has never known. The next, she finds herself flung into the warm and salty waters of an unfamiliar world. Glowing moths fall to the waves around her, and the sleek bodies of unseen fish glide against her submerged ankles.

The world is Stormwrack, a series of island nations with a variety of cultures and economies—and a language different from any Sophie has heard.

Sophie doesn't know it yet, but she has just stepped into the middle of a political firestorm, and a conspiracy that could destroy a world she has just discovered… her world, where everyone seems to know who she is, and where she is forbidden to stay.

But Sophie is stubborn, and smart, and refuses to be cast adrift by people who don't know her and yet wish her gone. With the help of a sister she has never known, and a ship captain who would rather she had never arrived, she must navigate the shoals of the highly charged politics of Stormwrack, and win the right to decide for herself whether she stays in this wondrous world . . . or is doomed to exile

I have a confession. I got this book totally based on the cover (from the clothes and the ship---> must be fantasy, hope there's a pirate too. Yup definitely going home with me.) I didn't even bother to read the back. Bad, I know but sometimes it just happens.

Anyway, it took me awhile to get familiar with the writing. Sophie, her sense of humor and her curiosity (her distraction from everything) annoyed me a little bit. Ah scratch that, she annoyed the hell out of me. And the fact that everything worked out so convenience for her was so unrealistic. Not like I expected her to be miserable and failed at everything but come on at least gave me something believable. Still, the thing that drove me over the edge was that this book was too much telling (this was this, that was that). Seriously, don't tell me, just show me. Funny though, too much telling but too bad it forgot to tell the main point. So as you can see, I was struggling a few time because I had no clue what was happening.

I don't even want to touch on the romance because I probably sit here all day ranting. Such a bummer because I really wanted to like this book. Child of Hidden Sea just wasn't for me.

No comments :

I LOVE to hear from you so don't be shy and speak your mind =)

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...