Monday, December 23, 2013

Review: Pawn by Aimee Carter

Publication Date: Nov. 26th 2013 
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Pages: 352
Series: The Blackcoat Rebellion #1
Source: Purchased
Rating:
 ★★★★★
GR
YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.


"Risking my life to steal an orange was a stupid thing to do, but today of all days, I didn't care about the consequences."

Did that first line capture your heart? Because it did mine. Pawn is amazing and I loved it. I've read The Goddess Test trilogy by Aimee and even though I liked that series, I didn't love it. So I didn't have any expectations when I read this book. I picked it up simply because the story sounds interesting and the cover is pretty. So it was a shock that right after I started reading Pawn, my eyes were glued to the page. Her writing in this book has improved A LOT. The plot line is so captivating that I couldn't put it down and read it in one go.

The characters, none of them annoyed me. I liked Kitty instantly. She is fearless, smart and has a sense of humor.  The love interest, I don't know if there's a love triangle since I'm not sure about Knox's feelings but from what I read, I think there's a tension between Kitty and Knox. Benjy is indeed a nice guy but I didn't feel anything from their relationship yet except knowing the fact that Kitty and Benjy love each other. Besides Pawn didn't focus much on romance, it's just there in the background. Pawn is more action packed, the fight/rank in the government system and the corruption of the Hart family. The world Amiee Carter created had me think a lot about the fairness and what defines you (your background, your personalities, things that you do, the way you look). I think Pawn is a great book for a book club because it brings up many important things that are great to discuss. 

Overall,  I enjoyed this book. It's just simply awesome and I can't wait for the sequel. I think there will be more romance in the next one, I hope so. And yes I'd recommend this book to anyone =)




No comments :

I LOVE to hear from you so don't be shy and speak your mind =)

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...