Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Review: Sever by Lauren DeStefano

Publication Date: Feb 12th 2013
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 371
Series: The Chemical Garden #3
Source: Purchased
Rating:
 ★★★1/2
GR
Time is running out for Rhine in this conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Chemical Garden Trilogy.

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.

This is my least favorite out of the three. I was hoping that this book would be better than Fever but instead of getting better it's getting worse =( Totally a disappointment. There are so many things that ticked me off that I don't even know where to begin. The solution to the love triangle Linden-Rhine-Gabriel is just so ... so...(I can't say what it is because it'll be a big spoiler =X ). It's just sad and unfair somehow. It's not really Linden's fault so isn't it too much that we made him pay the price? He didn't even have a chance to say whatever it was he wanted to say to Rhine. You may think he did but no, he's still hiding his true feelings. And let me tell you guys there's a part of me that feel glad that whatever happened to Linden happened because it just hurts me to see Linden and Cecily as a package and poor Rhine, feeling so left out.

The first half of the book, I felt like it was dragging on, too much time wasting on goodbye. And when you think it's finally over, oh no guess what they decided to tag along. What?? I've endured that torturing boring goodbye for nothing. Really. And about the doctor, I don't think I have anything left to say anymore. And not to mention Cecily, I really don't feel anything for her. I didn't like her at first and after everything that happened I still don't like her. I really admire Rhine to stay with her and thinks of her as a little sister. Anyway everything worked out (not like I hoped but still not bad) and the future is looking bright and hopeful.

Overall, I was so sad because I loved the first book so much and had a really high hope for this series but it just went down from there =(


2 comments :

  1. I really want to give this series a go. Like the covers are absolutely candy-eye and the concept seems totally original. Dystopia authors are so crafty. Just that dystopia can bug me sometimes by how much oomph the author puts into creating this world of there's, you know? Hopefully the next book in the series is better! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand what you mean, dystopian world sometimes can be a little bit too much.
    Oh this is the last book though. The order is Wither then Fever then Sever.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...