Friday, October 10, 2014

Review: Death Sworn by Leah Cypess

Publication Date: March 4th 2014
Publisher: Greenwillow
Pages: 352
Series: Death Sworn Duology #1
Source: Purchased
Rating:
 ★★★★

GR
When Ileni lost her magic, she lost everything: her place in society, her purpose in life, and the man she had expected to spend her life with. So when the Elders sent her to be magic tutor to a secret sect of assassins, she went willingly, even though the last two tutors had died under mysterious circumstances.

But beneath the assassins’ caves, Ileni will discover a new place and a new purpose… and a new and dangerous love. She will struggle to keep her lost magic a secret while teaching it to her deadly students, and to find out what happened to the two tutors who preceded her. But what she discovers will change not only her future, but the future of her people, the assassins… and possibly the entire world.

There's something about the word "assassin" that it makes me instantly want to read the book. I guess it must be my siren's song. Anyway I didn't expect to finish Death Sworn in one sitting since it's a high fantasy so I thought it might take some time to get familiar with the world building and the customs etc. Well, the world here is the cave, a big one so no worries you won't get bored. You might even find it interesting. They're caves but they are somewhat like a maze with a lot of hidden passages.

Besides, if the idea of caves and assassins can't hold your interest, then fear not because Ileni is a kick ass heroine plus there's a murder to be solved for all you mystery lovers out there. Though half way in (or 1/3, I don't remember exactly) if you pay really closely attention to the detail then you can guess what happened to the two tutors. You might not know the why yet but at least you know the who. From the beginning, I knew Ileni is a strong MC but her actions at the end still surprised me. I didn't think for one moment she could do it and it somewhat bugged me. I'm not saying that she has made wrong choices. Just a gut feeling that this series probably won't have a happily ever after ending. I'm maybe wrong, hope so. Next book, which also is the last book will reveal everything (who/what the evil really is) and how the story ends.

A good storyline, a bit of mystery, a bit of romance with a good pacing so as the final thought check this book out.

1 comment :

  1. I haven't really heard of this one, but the cover is beautiful. I tagged you in the Opposites Tag and if you want to do it, you can see my post HERE.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...