Sunday, November 24, 2013

Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Publication Date:May 10th 2011
(first published January 2009)
Publisher: Henry Holt
Pages: 322
Series: Ruby Red Trilogy #1
Source: Purchased
Rating:
 ★★★★
GR

Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.


This was my first time reading a translated book so I was really nervous because I didn't know how the writing style would be like. And oh boy I had worry myself for no reason because the writing flows so smoothly. The translation team has done a pretty good job because if I didn't know beforehand that this was a German book I would hardly noticed at all.

For me, it was kind of slow in the beginning. The fact that it took so many pages for Gwyneth to decide to tell her mom about the time travel thing made me feel so frustrated. I was like "please, just please tell her already will you? because I seriously don't want to read half of the book about your decision." I've to say that I had a love hate relationship with Gwyneth. I felt like she has two different personalities. On one hand she is smart, thinks thing through and has a good sense of humor. But on the other hand, she is a helpless romantic to the point that drove me crazy. I seriously had no idea why she falls so hard for Gideon. He's nothing special and last time I checked he's into your cousin. So why on earth she can think and believes that he has a feeling for her. Just no no no. One minute Gwyneth and Gideon doesn't like each other and the next minute they declare their love. What did I miss?!?! I'm sorry to say this but the romance is just MEH---> It felt forced, rush and just unbelievable 0_0 I would not continue reading this book if not because of the mystery. And I think I'd love this book a lot if there were no romance. The mystery alone already made a good story and had my heart.

As a conclusion, Ruby Red was indeed a fun read with a good mystery and delightful side characters like James and Lesly. Time travel book can get complicated and confusing sometimes but if you take it slow then there won't be a problem I promise.

 

2 comments :

  1. I'm so excited you have a review for this! I literally just picked this up from the library. I have so many books that I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to review it on my blog, but I'm glad that I can get the gist of what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this was originally German! Huh, learn something new everyday! Glad to hear that didn't affect the writing though!
    Megan @ Books i View

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...