Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Review: Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland

Publication Date: May 7th 2013 
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Pages:  294
Source: Library
Rating:
 ★★★
GR
For Cricket Thompson, a summer like this one will change everything. A summer spent on Nantucket with her best friend, Jules Clayton, and the indomitable Clayton family. A summer when she’ll make the almost unattainable Jay Logan hers. A summer to surpass all dreams.

Some of this turns out to be true. Some of it doesn’t.

When Jules and her family suffer a devastating tragedy that forces the girls apart, Jules becomes a stranger whom Cricket wonders whether she ever really knew. And instead of lying on the beach working on her caramel-colored tan, Cricket is making beds and cleaning bathrooms to support herself in paradise for the summer.

But it’s the things Cricket hadn’t counted on--most of all, falling hard for someone who should be completely off-limits--that turn her dreams into an exhilarating, bittersweet reality.

A beautiful future is within her grasp, and Cricket must find the grace to embrace it. If she does, her life could be the perfect shade of Nantucket blue

Nantucket Blue was a good read but it didn't meet my expectation. I liked the setting of the story, it has that summery feeling to it. But the reason I didn't enjoy the book as much as I'd thought was because of the characters. Cricket is just unbelievable because she just acts without even thinking for one second if the action is reasonable or not. I admired that she tries her best to work thing out with Jules but sometimes the relationship just ends. There's nothing she can do, friends come and go. Just accept it, that's life.

And Jules oh Jules, I understand that she's having a hard time coping with the sudden loss but that doesn't mean she can treat Cricket like that. Did I get it correctly that you two are best friends or really you two are just enemy in disguise?  I didn't even know what's going on in this girl's head. And the love interest, it's so so. *HE* is nice and I do prefer him being with Cricket but I don't know why I feel like something is missing.

Anyway I thought Nantucket Blue would be a fun, cute story that would be perfect for summer read. However the only summer thing about this book is the setting. The story is a little bit dramatic for my taste (too many fights and the slow paced---> tired me out). This book does have some good advices for the coming age. So like I mentioned at the beginning, Nantucket Blue was a good read and I think some people may even love it.


No comments :

I LOVE to hear from you so don't be shy and speak your mind =)

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...