Saturday, October 19, 2013

Review: Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Publication Date: February 21st 2012
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 341
Series: The Chemical Garden #2
Source: Purchased
Rating:
 ★★★★
GR
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.
---If you've not read the first book (Wither) yet, you may want to stop here and check my review for Wither instead because this review may contain spoilers for Wither.---


The story jumped right in where it left off in Wither, right back into action I liked that. Since I just finished the first book, my memory is still fresh so I don't need any flashbacks or recalls. I'm glad that Rhine chose to run away with Gabriel. For me, she'd made the right choice to leave Linden because I don't want her to settle for less. With love, I think you have to be a little bit selfish or your heart will be crushed into pieces especially when the guy keeps going back and forth between you and the others.

It's really a bummer when Rhine and Gabriel are still the same, the relationship hasn't changed. It's just plain awkward to see them interact with each other because there is no chemistry =( I think Rhine has to let Linden truly go before she can move on but I think this will be hard. She denies her feelings for Linden the whole time but deep inside her heart, she still loves him. Poor Gabriel. And Linden, I have no words for his actions. He disappointed me again (I think there will be more disappointments in the next book so at least I've learned to not expect anything from him because he will never change). Please Rhine just let Linden go, he hurts you enough, why can't you see Gabriel why it has to be Linden. Love is so funny because we choose the one that hurts us and hurt the one that loves us. Such a tiresome circle. Cecily, I've never liked or trusted her in Wither and I'm officially hate her now. I just can't understand why Rhine has to be so nice to Cecily. Why Jenna had to be the one to die, and Cecily still alive and so so noisy UGH please make Cecily go away.

I didn't enjoy Fever much because some of the stuffs can be kind of unrealistic (like the way Rhine gets lucky every time something bad happens, not like I want something bad happens to her but still...read the book and you will know what I mean). It's indeed a good book. The story is really engaging that you've to keep turning the pages.  I just hope that the next book will get better and I'm really curious of who will end up with Rhine. And if she is somehow ending up with Linden does it mean Cecily will be gone (die or whatever). And will there be a cure? Let's hope so =)

PS: I don't like this cover. Who is it exactly? because Rhine has blond hair. This one has red hair. Cecily? and the girl on the cover just looks like she is insane or something 0-o

2 comments :

  1. Man I haven't read any of the books in this series yet but feel like I'm totally missing out! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same...there are a lot of books out there that I need to read. So many books just so little time =(

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...